- By Windows2u
How Secure Are Casement Windows?
Casement windows are an attractive and practical choice for many homeowners. They offer the perfect balance between security and beauty. This article will detail what you need to know about casement window security before installing them in your home.
Casement windows are a popular choice for homeowners in the UK. They provide both kerb appeal and safety, with a small gap between panes of glass that make them difficult to pry open from the outside. Many casements also have a locking mechanism built in to prevent easy entry by intruders.
With that said, not all casement windows are created equal when it comes to security. Many older models don’t have locking mechanisms (although they can be retrofitted), and they can all become more vulnerable to security problems if not properly maintained.
If you’re looking for casement window security, here are a few things that you need to know before installing them in your home:
- Make sure the gap between panes of glass is small enough that it’s difficult or impossible to pry open.
- If your casement window doesn’t have a locking mechanism (or if it’s become faulty), install one yourself or contact an expert to provide you with the best options for your home.
- Casement windows are available in aluminium, vinyl and wood materials – make sure that yours is made of an appropriate material for the weather you usually receive.
- If you have old casement windows in your home, check them regularly for damage and repair or replace them if they are no longer secure.
- Make sure that the locks on your casement window aren’t easy to pick with something as simple as a credit card – it’s an amateur mistake that many homeowners make.
- A deadbolt lock is a good choice for casement window security.
- Casements with an outward swing are more likely to be secure than inward swinging models because it’s harder to pry open the frame from the outside.
It is always important to get a professional to install your windows, no matter what type, so they stay as secure as possible. If you want strong, sturdy and safe casement windows, contact Windows2U today.